Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Promises and lies

The difference between what a company promises, and what it actually delivers is known as the ‘brand gap’. Here are some words of wisdom from Mark Stevens in Brand Week:

‘Then there's clubby little Starbucks. The brand says, in effect, "Your home away from home. Your second living room. Your refuge from the rigors of the day." Sure, if you like filthy toilets, dirty tables, unswept floors. I used to love Starbucks but now the promise has turned to week-old grinds. I think of Starbucks as pigpens with java.’
The brands are nothing more than logos, he goes on to say, the promises they pedal are lies. The promise, he says, takes place in the nitty-gritty of execution; of training people how to welcome customers; how to field calls with enthusiasm; to solve customer problems with determination; to see names where others see only numbers.
Now how many businesses in the Middle East does that sound like?

2 comments:

Jones. Bridget Jones. said...

Totally agree with Mark Stvens. Starbucks used to be my favourite coffee stop as well, but after one too many times of having to repeat my order for the nth time to a different waiter everyday (same place), and praying that it won't be the newest trainee who'd be tasked with preparing my coffee, I've given up. I now do Carribou Cafe. My coffee has the same great taste every day no matter who prepares it, friendlier and more professional staff who remember my fave coffee and greet me by name. Now, that's what I call customer service.

Customer Service in Dubai seems a utopic ambition. The brand gap is gigantic. Wasn't expecting that when I moved here, not after seeing postcards of Dubai.. All that glitters is not gold ha!

19thfloordubai said...

Agree, agree. It's not that I mind repeating my order, or that the bill is ballsed up (well, I mind a little bit), but that the international branding is nothing like the local experience. I've never seen a Gulf ad featuring Filipino/South Asian serving staff, or construction work going on in the background, or Indonesian maids carrying the kids.
Fyi: U&Me coffee next door to work does a v good cup.